In a March 2020 Facebook post, we shared the image below with these words:
In 1939 during the toughest of times, the British government produced a poster to motivate the public. The message was clear; Keep Calm and Carry On. It’s now 2020 and right here in Launceston we’re facing our own tough times. So, with some help from our friends at Think Big Printing and Cityprom we have a message for anyone who isn’t self-isolating. Keep Calm and Spend Local – whether you’re purchasing for yourself or your business, the local choice is the best.
With the sad announcement that the Festivale Organising Committee has been forced to cancel next year’s event (a decision that we, the Chamber, appreciate must have been incredibly difficult), it’s another reminder that COVID-19 is still affecting our events calendar, businesses of all sizes from any sector and our daily lives. With this in mind, we encourage you to:
- Buy Local
- With Christmas just around the corner, summer holidays and a new calendar year, there will be a great number of opportunities to buy local.
- Christmas Gifts (and staff appreciation gifts) from local retailers and Gift Vouchers from local stores, cafes and entertainment venues give the gift twice. Buy local.
- Need new office stationery for the new year? Buy local.
- Need some new technology for the office? Connect with a local.
- Business cards need an update? Have them designed locally and think “local print” instead of online print.
- Eat Local
- Support our local cafes, bars and restaurants.
- Remember! Life’s too short for instant coffee.
- Need a break from cooking? A local venue will provide a much better dining experience than many of the national fast-food chains (the burgers aren’t necessarily better…)
- Stay Local
- Need some time for yourself? Want to really hit the town and not worry about getting home? Why not treat yourself to an overnight stay in one of our many wonderful accommodation providers?
- Event Local
- Support as many local events as you can, for example North food festival is on at the moment in venues in and around central Launceston and the Chamber has a number of events planned for the remainder of 2021.
- Support Local
- Don’t forget Christmas is a difficult time, particularly for those in need. If you’re in the position to, please support one of our local charitable organisations.
In 2020 we all saw how well Launceston supported each other by Keeping Calm and Spending Local, with 2021 coming to a close it’s so important we see that community spirit once again. So, remember the mantra, Buy Local, Eat Local, Stay Local, Event Local and Support Local.